Wednesday, April 25, 2012

W is for Whoopie ... Pies that is!

W is for Whoopie... Pies that is!
Was there ever an episode of The Newlywed Game where Bob Eubanks did not ask the contestants "Where is the last place you made Whoopie"? Well, I can honestly say IN THE KITCHEN! 


No, not THAT kind of Whoopie! This kind of Whoopie ... Whoopie Pies! 



While playing on Pinterest, I noticed I kept seeing recipes for Whoopie Pies and decided I better start a new  PIN board just for Whoopie Pies because I knew sooner or later, I would want to try my hand at making them.  Now I've eaten Whoopie Pies before, they are a very popular item at Amish bakeries but I have never made them myself. Well, the opportunity came sooner than I would know as I decided to take them to a neighborhood meeting/dinner. For my first attempt, I wanted to try an easy recipe, possibly one that started with a cake mix, sure enough, I found THIS recipe. I made two batches, I used a devils food cake mix for one batch and red velvet for the second batch. 

 Look at the pretty red color!

The recipe says to drop the batter on to parchment lined cookie sheets but I made it even easier and bought 2 Whoopie Pie pans at Target! I used a cookie dough scoop to fill the cavities. I filled the scoop  to the top but in hindsight, it was probably a little too much. 


 Here's a shot of the pans filled. 



And here's a shot of the finished Whoopie pies, cooling. 
 By the time I made all of these and put the filling in between, I was really running behind schedule and completely forgot to take a picture before I left for the meeting. You just have to take my word for it, they looked and tasted WONDERFUL! Make sure you check out the other Whoopie Pie recipes on my Pinterest board and don't forget to stop by Jenny Matlocks for more inspiring W posts at Alphabe Thursday! xoxo Nan

22 comments:

  1. "YUMMMMY"!!! They remind me of DEVIL DOGS and how I LOVED those. Hmmm, I wonder if We could make our own "devil dogs" using this recipe and a change of shape?
    Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!
    Have a wonderful week,
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post! I need to be careful eating these, I just wrote my post on being healthier! Hee Hee!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look amazing! I just bought some of the same pans and have yet to try them. You've inspired me now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandkids would LOVE these! Great idea.

    =)

    PS. Such a cute song, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I love to bake, this is not something I have ever made. But I think I might have to change that. My girls would love these.
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a recipe, but your post makes it sound so easy! So, I'm definitely gonna try it one day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh i see those whoopie pies in books and on blogs and know that this is a particular type of whoopie that i will never know. why? because there would not be 1 whoopie, or even 2. No, there would be whoopies in the morning,the after noon, after dinner, before bed, oh heck - there would be whoopies 24/7. Pies that is. so, sadly, no whoopies for me, my glucose meter does not care for them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi So sorry for the delay in my response. My son was in an accident which has consumed most of my waking moments. Slowly but surely he's moving forward. I do love whoopie pies. I think I need to take my mind off of everything so oven get ready of some serious whoopieing!

    Thx for sharing

    LL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've noticed a renewed interest in Whoopie pies. My grandkids would get a kick out of these...

    xxoo,

    RMW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nan! I was so happy to see your smiling face on my post comments. I love the new look of your blog. It really is you! I used to love to watch the Newlywed Game, but I was young enough to be very embarrassed by all the Woopie going on. Woopie Pies are seen all the time in Ohio. I love to buy them from the Amish. Hope you enjoyed yours! Have a great weekend! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute W post! I am not on Pinterest, but sometimes I look at it when my daughter is signed on. Those pies do look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think we ever had them in Canada. Thanks for dropping by my blog and visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Afraid you found someone that was unfamiliar with whoopie pies. But, I am certainly going to make them the next time I get together with all the children in the family for a baking party. I think they would love doing these.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my! I could eat a dozen!

    Thank you for your kind comments. You are such a blessing to me.

    I will be having a Mother's Day giveaway this next Friday with glimpses of whats up for grabs all this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bet the Red Velvet Whoopies looked and tasted awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Nan- you crack me up girl!! I was about to scold you for TMI when you gave it up and let us in on that you were makin whoopie PIES in the kitchen!!! Thanks for visiting my new blog- I hope you like it and thanks for being my very first friend!!
    Sparkly Hugs,
    Tobi and those Sparkle Mining pixies!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness...kudos to you!!! I'm sure they tasted MUCH better than the commercial ones. Way to go!!! Now I'm hungry. : )
    M.L.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey! I was visiting you and noticed this post...and I swear I left a comment here...but where did it go?

    Wonderful whoopie pies...these looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, Nan! Oh how funny, I forgot how he would say "make whoopie" Ha-ha!

    Thanks again for rotting advice! ♥

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every one of your comments! Thank you for taking the time to leave such nice words!