Monday, May 31, 2010

A little Memorial Day History



While I was watching the local news tonight, they gave a little history behind Memorial Day so I wanted to add this addendum to my Memorial Day post. According to our local news, the very first Memorial Day was observed right here in Charleston. Historians have documented that a group of former slaves were dedicating a cemetery for approximately 260 Union Soldiers who died in a prison camp at what is now known as Hampton Park. The year was 1865 and today, they dedicated a plaque recognizing the significance of that very first Memorial Day.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nan, I am having trouble getting my post to post; so I hope this gets to you. I so enjoyed your Memorial posts and especially your horse story on my giveaway. Thank you so much for sharing, and be sure to check back with me on Friday! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every one of your comments! Thank you for taking the time to leave such nice words!