Monday, June 7, 2010

Update to Saturday's post

Saturday I told you about the deer that inhabit my yard. Well, I have some news about one deer in particular. First, I have to WARN you, this post and the following pictures are a little gross so if you are squeamish, you might want to look away! I'll count to 5 to give you a chance to leave the room or do what you need to do, 1...2...3...4...5

OK, so if you are still with me, I hope you find this fascinating. Sunday morning I was strolling around the yard and watching the deer eat the corn we put out for them when I noticed something very peculiar about one deer. He turned away from me so his rear end was facing me. At first I thought it was a male that had a serious problem with his, ahem, shall I say "male parts". But when I looked closer, I realized it was a female who had very recently given birth and she was in the process of expelling the afterbirth. We have lived here for almost 16 years and I have never seen this before, that's how rare an occasion it was. I had my camera with me, so I snapped a few pictures. They are not the best pictures though because I didn't want to get too close and scare her away. I'm so excited because hopefully, in a couple of weeks we will be seeing a new baby with the herd! I'll keep ya'll posted and snap pictures if I can. Here are the pics I took Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. This is really cool... I can't wait to see the baby... and now you know why she was eating so much of your wonderful garden.. Sorry you are losing things but I can't wait to see that baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Bambi! What a sweet moment that she shared with you. Hope she's a good mama & takes care of the little sweetie!

    ♥hugs♥

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every one of your comments! Thank you for taking the time to leave such nice words!